Xac and Log Files

David Hampton hampton@employees.org
09 Jan 2003 20:27:56 -0800

--=-Iwl4ows0V04TZB6OjlCb

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 16:23, Bruce DeGrasse wrote:
> There does not appear to be a description of .xac and .log files in the=
=20
> documentation although they appear to be xml files.  As a home user why w=
ould=20
> I keep old files around.  And is the latest .xac file the main (current)=
=20
> file, that is can I delete old xac files without affecting operation and =
use=20
> my own backup(loose) procedures.

The xac files are copies of your data file. The log file is... well...
is just there. :-)  At some point I'd like to improve the log file so
you could replay it against an older data file to recreate the most
current data file, but I figure by the time I get around to it someone
will have implemented an embedded sql database and it won't be necessary
any more.

You can delete any of the .xac and .log files.  Just be careful not to
delete your actual data file.  Gnucash 1.7.x will automatically prune
these files if they are older than 30 days (a tunable number, and you
can disable this pruning.)

David

--=-Iwl4ows0V04TZB6OjlCb

--=-Iwl4ows0V04TZB6OjlCb--