compiling gnc 1.7.7 on SuSE: success

John Reynolds gnucash@reynj.fastmail.fm
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:57:12 -0500

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003 18:47:24 +0100 (CET), "Thomas Spahni" <tsp@lawbiz.ch>
said:
> Gang,
>
> this is to give some positive feedback to those who are desperately
> trying
> to get gnucash running. I started out with SuSE 8.0 distribution. Then I
> did:
>
> - download the source gnucash-1.7.7.tar.gz and g-wrap-1.3.4
> - tar xvzf gnucash-1.7.7.tar.gz
> - tar xvzf g-wrap-1.3.4
> - cd gnucash-1.7.7.tar.gz
> - configure --prefix=/usr
>   repeat this step ...
>
> each time when it bailed out I had to add a package from the distribution
> CD. Sometimes it was necessary to have a look at config.log to see what
> was missing. When it asked for -lesd that meant to install the esound
> package. Everyone's mileage may vary here depending on what is already
> installed.
>
> - make
>
> compilation stopped at a point where it run into redeclaration of
> gettext,
> dgettext and dcgettext. These are declared in /usr/include/libintl.h and
> would be redeclared in /opt/gnome/include/gnome-1.0/libgnome/gnome-i18n.h
>
> I decided to hack /usr/include/libintl.h adding
>
> #ifndef ENABLE_NLS
> #define ENABLE_NLS      1
> #endif /* ENABLE_NLS */
>
> because that is what gnome-i18n.h checks for:
>
> #include <libintl.h>
> #ifdef ENABLE_NLS
> #    ifdef GNOME_EXPLICIT_TRANSLATION_DOMAIN
> #        undef _
> #        define _(String) dgettext (GNOME_EXPLICIT_TRANSLATION_DOMAIN,
> String)
> #    else
> #        define _(String) gettext (String)
> #    endif
> #    ifdef gettext_noop
> #        define N_(String) gettext_noop (String)
> #    else
> #        define N_(String) (String)
> #    endif
> #else
> /* Stubs that do something close enough.  */
> #    define textdomain(String) (String)
> #    define gettext(String) (String)
> #    define dgettext(Domain,Message) (Message)
> #    define dcgettext(Domain,Message,Type) (Message)
> #    define bindtextdomain(Domain,Directory) (Domain)
> #    define _(String) (String)
> #    define N_(String) (String)
> #endif
>
> Anyway: now it compiled fine. The package started up after
>
> su -c 'make install'
>
> and appears to run fine. I've not yet tested one of the new features.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas Spahni

To all those that helped, Thank You! I got 1.7.7 running the other day
following the above directions, in addition to Kai and Chris's advise.
That is...

I'm using suse 8.1 and could not get the above directions to work alone.
I added --enable-gui to the ./configure, and omitted --prefix=/usr and
then it worked. Why? I don't know but I'm sure someone may have some
theory or advise. It would not start when using --prefix=/usr.

After this success I was feeling confident and decide to go after the ofx
support. Read Benoit's post on OFX and followed it. After "making"
OpenSP and OFX, I ran:

./configure --enable-gui --enable-ofx

and now I'm as pleased as can be.

Thank you all again. I will try to return the help were I can... but
inexpirence is a killa'

John