Just getting started...

Jeremy Brown jtbrown@utk.edu
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:12:46 -0600

Terence,

You might want to update your version of Gnucash.  My understanding is
that releases where the second version number (in this case 5) is odd
are development releases and not intended for day-to-day use.  So you
probably want the latest in the 1.6.x line.  In the Mandrake tree on my
university's public FTP server, the latest version of Gnucash for
Mandrake 9.0 is 1.6.7
(ftp://helios.dii.utk.edu/pub/linux/Mandrake/Mandrake/9.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/gnucash-1.6.7-1mdk.i586.rpm).

A few years ago I migrated from Quicken on Windows to Gnucash on Linux,
and I don't recall the change being too difficult.  There are some weird
accounting differences (maybe some things like differences in
terminology), but overall stuff is pretty much the same.  If, for
example, trying to reconcile pops up a window with the absolute wrong
information in it, my guess is it's just a bug in the development
version of Gnucash that you have that's since been fixed.

Hope this helps out!