Transaction numbers.

deane@gooroos.com deane@gooroos.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:39:07 -0800

What do people put in the 'num' field of transactions?

When entering transactions for my Bank account, it makes sense to use the
cheque number, although not all transactions happen via cheque (e.g.
service charges, debit-card purchases, etc).

When entering transactions dealing with invoices, it makes sense to use the
invoice number.

When entering expenses, maybe the expense number (assuming that you number
your expenses) would be appropriate.

But obviously, these numbers can overlap.  If I use cheque 312 to pay for
expense 105, which is used as part of the work in invoice 448, I clearly
have several options available to me.

So what do most of you do?  Leave it empty?  Simply increment the number
for each new transaction?

  - deane                          Gooroos Software: Plugging you into Maya

                          Visit http://www.gooroos.com for more information