KDE

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 11:15:06 -0600

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 09:53:57AM -0700, Andrew Stone was heard to remark:

> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to build and use gnucash under RH Linux using the KDE
> desktop.  The RPM's are disastrous so I am trying to do a build from

The build-from-source probably won't avert the rpm disaster.  You will
need to need to install even more packages, i.e. the -devel versions of
packages that the precompiled binary needs.

> checking for GLIB - version >= 0.99.7... no
> *** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
> *** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
> *** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
> *** full path to glib-config.
> configure: error: Cannot find glib. Check config.log

you need to install a recent version of glib.  You also need to install
the matching version of glib-devel.

> Is it even possible to build and run gnucash under KDE?  If so, what must I

Yes, it works just fine.

> do to resolve the above error and move on?

You will need to install glib-devel, libgtkhtml-dev, and many others.
You will end up installing something like 100MB of gnome libraries
(from a dozen or two rpm's)  This won't affect your kde desktop; it
will simply eat up some disk space.

I suggest trying to get the rpm install to work first, since you
need to do at least that much, ** and also install the -devel versions**
to be able to compile.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>