Reconciliation starting balance

Roland Roberts roland@astrofoto.org
Mon Jan 20 03:58:41 CST 2003

    Wes> Never mind. My error. It turns out that some rather old
    Wes> transactions had been either re-marked as unreconciled, or
    Wes> deleted and reentered; either way, the answer was to mark
    Wes> them cleared, go ahead and reconcile using the wrong starting
    Wes> balance, and mark the old ones reconciled while doing the
    Wes> rest of that month. Had to use a spreadsheet to verify this
    Wes> would fix it before going ahead.

I'm curious though, what version of GnuCash was this?  I ask because I
recently had to reconcile my credit card account and am finding a
similar problem.  After upgrading to 1.7.6, neither my checking
account nor my credit card accounts' old reconciled balances matched
any of my statements.  I generally reconcile every month, but had
skipped the past couple of months due to the chaos of moving.

After undoing three months of work on my checking account, I *still*
could not find the missing transaction.  The discrepency was only
$3.48, but it was still annoying.  I went through an entire year's
worth of bank statements (paper) trying to find both a $3.48 or a
$6.96 transaction to no avail.  After all that work, I then found my
credit card balances are similarly screwed up, but I haven't
determined the amount yet.  With the checking account, I figured it
was just me, but I'm a bit suspicious with the credit card....

roland
--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland@rlenter.com                            6818 Madeline Court