Help getting GnuCash with Chipcard HBCI to work on SuSE 8.1

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Wed Jan 22 14:48:57 CST 2003

> Getting GnuCash with Chipcard HBCI to work on SuSE 8.1
>
> I guess this is on the wishlist of many users in Germany.
> Installation from source, libraries, and other stuff is nothing I know to deal
> with. However I want to test HBCI and scheduled transactions.
> Thanx to some of you on this list and after days of trials  I was able to put
> together the following recipe.
> Unfortunately I could not be build with --enable-hbci.

This is unfortunate to hear. However, as for the OpenHBCI and
Libchipcard stuff, the SuSE81.rpm for both libchipcard-0.6.1 and
openhbci-0.9.5 should *absolutely* be enough for you, since they are
specifically built for SuSE 8.1. You should not be required to build any
of these packages on your own -- even worse, chances are rather that too
many different of these packages will be left around in your system and
compiling gnucash afterwards gets even more complicated. Whatever. It
*should* work anyway.

> get and untar g-wrap 1.3.4
>
> in all makefiles delete all "-Werror" entries
> (because gcc 3.2 is used?)

Yes, this is still a known error with g-wrap 1.3.4, and we are all
waiting for g-wrap 1.3.5 where this is fixed. Sorry for any
inconvenience so far.

> get and install libchipcard-0.6.1-1.i386.SuSE81.rpm from sf (sourceforge)

ok

> untar openhbci 0.9.5
> ----------------
>  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/openhbci

> I thought by installing from source and the with the prefix I might get rid of
> the failing gnucash make at the end.
> I had openhbci-0.9.5-1.i386.SuSE81.rpm from sf installed before. But nothing
> has changed.

As mentioned above, the SuSE81.rpm would have been sufficient.

> untar gnucash 1.7.7
> ---------------
> figuring out working  options for ./configure and
> install packages that might be missing even after installing the gnome desktop
> with yast on my system.
>
> (A complete list to check up front would be nice.)

Thanks for sending the list. We regularly get asked for providing such a
list for distribution xy version yz, but as you can easily guess this is
just way too much work for us to maintain. We are the programmers. We
are not the distributors. If in your distribution it is difficult to
install a brand-new gnucash version, then blame the distribution (but
not us), or submit such a requirement list, which you have just done --
thanks a lot.

> Finally I used the following commandline:
> ./configure --enable-hbci --with-openhbci-prefix=/usr/local/openhbci
> --disable-openhbcitest --enable-gui --with-gnome=/opt/gnome

Why do you use --disable-openhbcitest? If that test fails, it means that
something is really broken with your openhbci installation, and you
should fix that first. For a start, you can send the config.log with the
failed openhbcitest to gnucash-devel -- but simply disabling the test
will not make the problems with your installation go away.

> [...]
> Making all in hbci
> make[4]: Wechsel in das Verzeichnis
> »/tmp/gnucash/gnucash-1.7.7/src/import-export/hbci«
> Making all in .
> make[5]: Wechsel in das Verzeichnis
> »/tmp/gnucash/gnucash-1.7.7/src/import-export/hbci«
> cc1: changing search order for system directory "/usr/include"
> cc1:   as it has already been specified as a non-system directory

You could remove the "-Werror" in the Makefile in the
src/import-export/hbci directory as a quick workaround. However, if the
openhbci-test at configure time fails, it means that there is some
deeper problem with your openhbci installation (like, having old
openhbci version lying around in your system).

Christian