A/payable A/receiveable definitions interchanged ?

Richard Leopold gnucash-user at leo.0n3.org
Wed Jan 22 20:05:59 CST 2003

MOIn !

First: I'm not a great accounter and I'm using Gnucash 1.7.7.

The documentation (help) says:
> Accounts Payable are used by businesses to record sales for
> which they are not immediately paid.

> Accounts Receivable records bills that businesses have received,
> but might not pay until later.

If this is right, then it seem to be, that the labels are interchanged:
The labels on a A/payable-account-card (payment, bill) and on a
A/receiveable-card (payment, invoice).

So if I book a bill on a A/payable account, and the transfer is income,
then the income becomes negative (charge) ?!

payable                income                 expense
payment | bill         charge | income        expense | charge
--------+-------       -------+--------       --------+-------
        | 2500                |                       |
  500   |                     |                  500  |
 2000   |               2000  |                       |

Shouldn't it be positive  like:

payable                income                 expense
payment | bill         charge | income        expense | charge
        | 2500                |                       |
  500   |                     |                       |  500
 2000   |                     | 2000                  |

Same game on the A/receivable Account.

I think, it's the documentation, where the the definitions of the
accounts are interchanged #o)

Regards -

// ... listening your DATEV thread too ...