gnucash accounts to track roommate expenses?

Jim Kalafut jim at kalafut.net
Wed Jan 22 22:19:46 CST 2003

For a long time I've paid all of the household bills and then updated a
spreadsheet with my roommate's portion.  And the end of the month I receive
a check and deposit it.  Using gnucash, when expense 'A' comes in I want to
transfer the full amount from my checking account to 'A', but I also want to
track simultaneously that A/2 is owed to me by my roommate.  If I debit that
amount to an Account Receivable, then I also need to credit some other
account.  Currently just have a generic "Shared Expenses" expense account,
but that one looks weird since it's the only negative expense account.  Is
this an approiate use of an expense account?  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Regards,
Jim