System crash, gnucash taunting me, part N+1

lmb lars at marowsky-bree.de
Tue Jan 28 12:20:54 CST 2003

On 2003-01-25T06:29:17,
   Boris Goldowsky <boris at alum.mit.edu> said:

Ok, so I 'solved' this by reentering the transactions manually and promising
myself to hit "Save" more regularly l-)

> One thing that would be useful in this situation is that if Gnucash
> received a hangup signal (or was sent one on purpose with kill -1), it
> should save and exit cleanly.  If you you want to preserve the behavior
> of never-overwrite-datafile-unless-explicitly-told-to-do-so, you could
> have the save in that case go into a different file - <filename>.crash,
> say.  Then you could use it or not, as appropriate.

Yes, this would indeed be a very good thing, and be highly appreciated. It
should "always" safe a backup copy of the working state when brought down
uncleanly (of course, unless it's SEGV or KILL, nothing can be done about
that), and maybe even have the option to autosave every x minutes (if changes
have been made).

> Personally, I'm going to try to do a database-backed install next time
> I upgrade gnucash, since it would neatly avoid this problem.

Yes, but I heard that the psql backend doesn't support all of the neat newer
features either.

Sincerely,
	Lars

--
"I'm extraordinarily patient provided I get my own way in the end."
        -- Margeret Thatcher