Error starting gnucash 1.7.8

Rik Harris rik at kawaja.net
Wed Jan 29 11:22:30 CST 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:41:58AM -0500, Joseph M Carmon wrote:
> When I attempt to start gnucash 1.7.8 I get the following error messages
>

> ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
> ERROR: file not found
>

> When I first installed gnucash 1.7.8 it work fine, now after upgrading
> some packages via red-carpet I get those messages. I re-installed
> g-wrap, guile, and libguile9 to verify that all of the proper file were
> there and I am still getting the error. Any help with this would be
> greatly appreciated.

Yes I started getting this at some point and I'm not sure which of the
changes I made caused it to start happening all of a sudden (perhaps it
was when I upgraded g-wrap from 1.3.2 to 1.3.4).

It turns out that GnuCash dynamically loads various libararies
after it starts executing.  The ones I had trouble with was the gwrap
libraries (libgw-wct.so.0, libgwrap-wct.so.1).  I had installed them in
/usr/local/lib and, even though /usr/local/lib is in /etc/ld.so.conf,
GnuCash didn't pick them up.

I discovered this by running strace(1) on GnuCash to see what files it was
trying to open, then finding those files it failed to find with locate(1).
You really need to understand a bit about programming to understand the
output of strace, though.

I worked around the problem by running GnuCash in a little script:

| #!/bin/sh
| export LC_MONETARY=en_AU
| export GNC_MODULE_PATH=/usr/local/lib
| /usr/local/gnucash/bin/gnucash "$@"

Obviously you would need to change a few things in this script for it to
be of use to you.

hope this helps,
rik.