Importing from non-QIF file?

BenoitGrégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Thu Jul 10 17:05:37 CDT 2003

On July 10, 2003 03:34 pm, Friu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am just starting to use Gnucash and have the following problem:
>
> My bank only provides comma-separated or tab-separated files for
> download, but not the Gnucash supported Quicken format.
>
> I could not find  an import filter for CSV files in Gnucash. Is there an
> easy way to still import the data?

Not currently, I was planing on writing one eventually, but I am quite amazed
at the lack of C CSV parser to start with.  CSV isn't complex, but there are
some subtelties, and an endless number of variants.

> Is the QIF format easy to generate from a CSV file so that I could write
> my own converter and use the QIF import? Is the QIF format documented
> somewhere?

The QIF file format, for all it's faults, is at least very simple.  You can
find links to all the docs available on QIF here:

http://libofx.sourceforge.net/links.html

Good luck,

--
Benoit Grégoire