Cross-reporting ?

CL Gilbert Lamont_Gilbert at RigidSoftware.com
Fri Jul 11 15:58:32 CDT 2003

I too use that feature on Quicken 2002 right now.  I am transitioning to
gnucash.  I think it would be nice to maybe have multiple categories for
one transaction.  I dont mean split either.

using notes, and memo, etc. is not sufficient since those are unbounded
fields.  1 mistyped letter and your searching for your wife's
transactions will miss a few.

Still I recommend not ressurecting ye olde Lord, unless you are still on
"ye olde win98"...  Honestly quicken 2002 does not handle win2000 correctly.

CL

Derek Atkins wrote:
| It is not high on the radar, sorry.  There is some, but very little
| call for such a feature.  As I said, you could use the Action,
Description,
| (split) Memo, or Notes fields for this...
|
| -derek
|
| "Thiers Botelho" <thiers at fosfertil-ultrafertil.com.br> writes:
|

|>Well, I'll resort then to ressurecting ye olde Lord Quicken . . .  :(
|>
|>Maybe this added feature would not be so far ahead on your future release
|>schedule ??
|>
|>Thanx anyway for your prompt reply, and good luck !
|>
|>Thiers
|>

|>Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU>
|>11/07/2003 13:11
|>

|>        Para:   "Thiers Botelho" <thiers at fosfertil-ultrafertil.com.br>
|>        cc:     gnucash-user at lists.gnucash.org
|>        cco:
|>        Assunto:        Re: Cross-reporting ?
|>

|>unfortunately not really.. You could use the description or action
|>fields in the transaction for this..  But no, gnucash does not have
|>the concept of a "class".  Note that category directly maps to
|>"account".  but there is no direct mapping for "class".
|>
|>-derek
|>
|>"Thiers Botelho" <thiers at fosfertil-ultrafertil.com.br> writes:
|>

|>>Hi all,
|>>
|>>I've been thinking of using GnuCash to (re)start controlling my home
|>>expenses. I'm a former user of Quicken 2000, which I have not used it in
|>
|>>the last 2 yrs or so. For this reason I'm not quite sure on the
|>>terminology, but there is a particular item which is important for me ;

|>>could do it in Quicken, and I'd be glad if someone could tell me if
|>>GnuCash will do something similar  - preferably before I start studying
|>>the documentation. It goes like :
|>>
|>>In Quicken, I could record transactions within particular categories (?)
|>
|>>like "Dining Expenses" and "Medicine", for instance ; PLUS when entering
|>
|>>each transaction I could also add another qualifier (class ?) such as
|>>"John" and "Mary".
|>>
|>>Therefore, when producing reports, I could have all the cross-reporting
|>>options, like "Dining Expenses for Everybody", "All Expenses for Mary",
|>
|>or
|>
|>>"Medicine for John".
|>>
|>>Does GnuCash provide a practical means to achieve this flexibility ? If
|>>so, what structures and options I should look for in the docs ?
|>>
|>>Thanx all in advance.
|>>
|>>Thiers

- --
Thank you,

CL Gilbert
Free Java interface to Freechess.org
http://www.rigidsoftware.com/Chess/chess.html

GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
82A6 8893 C2A1 F64E A9AD  19AE 55B2 4CD7 80D2 0A2D
GNU Privacy Guard http://www.gnupg.org
Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html, windows
users should try that.