Cross-reporting ?

Thiers Botelho thiers at fosfertil-ultrafertil.com.br
Fri Jul 11 18:59:37 CDT 2003

Well Derek . . .

First of all let me apologize if my wording ended up leading you to this
unpleasant interpretation.

However, if I'm not mistaken I introduced myself on my first posting as an
ex-Quicken user, trying to evaluate a possible transition to GnuCash (or a
possible return to Quicken. Maybe this alternative was not made clear
enough - sorry for that).

All my questions and examples were based on my previous knowledge of
Quicken and a general idea of the features I'd like to use in an
accounting package. And I stated at least three times, thru different
postings, that I was not a GnuCash user and that I was not familiar with
GnuCash features. Otherwise I wouldn't have been on this list asking for
help - which BTW I graciously received, and mainly from yourself.

And when I said "I'll be better off with Quicken" plus some other
comments, I intended to educatedly finish the discussion with a statement
that would mean to those following the thread something like, "well folks,
I came here with a purpose, got your advice and this is the path I'll
probably take". That's my old-fashioned way of interacting with people -
much richer than the usual "thank you and bye-bye". As usual, people who
like to explain too much run the risk of being misinterpreted. But that's
my style, anyway.

Now, having taken this PR stuff out of the way, I hope we can proceed with
the technical discussion over the new info you presented below.

About your example of grouping, below:

        Expense:Medicine:Mary
        Expense:Medicine:Chuck

I understand it allows me to group all Medicine expenses. But will it do
any good when I try to group Chuck's Medicine with Chuck's Food ?

And when you say

        It means the code that exists today doesn't do it, but writing the
        code to add this grouping is _relatively_ simple...  The reports
are
        easily changed (even easier if you know scheme).

I understand that you mean that in the future, some programmer might add
this feature (I'm not a programmer BTW), but's that's beyond reach for a
normal user right now. Is that so ?

Thnx

Thiers

Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU>