Jobs and Actions

John Zoetebier john.zoetebier at transparent.co.nz
Mon Jul 14 11:17:08 CDT 2003

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:05:15 +0100, Mike Rothon <miker at mazpro.co.uk> wrote:

> I am just starting a small business, and being a linux fan hope to be
> able to use GnuCash.
>
> I have run into a few areas that I don't believe are covered by the
> documentation that I would appreciate some help with:
>
> 1. It is possible to set-up customer jobs and associate those with bills
> from vendors (Default Chargeback Project). However I can't find any way
> of generating an invoice or factoring the bills at all.

Add customer > find customer > show invoices > add invoice

> 2. On the invoice line it is possible to select an "action" from one of
> material, hours or projects. Is it possible to extend this to include
> days etc.?

You can enter any text you like.
The dropdown box is hardcode at the moment.

> 3. Have any UK users got any tips on producing a VAT return and the
> configuration of the Tax Tables to achieve this?

The tax options are for private accounts only.
Setup a sales tax account with a sub account for each tax percentage.
Via account balance you can see the sales tax amount and print out if
needed.

> Finally on a general note one thing that I really miss from Sage Instant
> Accounting is the ability to setup some standard items to charge on the
> invoice line (i.e. Green Widget = £23.40). I'm not looking for a full
> stock system, but the ability to have a standard cost against an item
> saves an awful lot of typing!!

gnucash will remember the item setting after you enter it the first time
for an account.
It is a simple but effective method.
I have used SQL Ledger before but find the gnucash method in general easier
to work with.
What I also like is the ability to import OFX, which is a real time saver.

--
John Zoetebier
Web site: http://www.transparent.co.nz