Cross-reporting ?

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Tue Jul 15 01:12:41 CDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 05:32:15PM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> "Thiers Botelho" <thiers at fosfertil-ultrafertil.com.br> writes:
>
> > About your example of grouping, below:
> >
> >         Expense:Medicine:Mary
> >         Expense:Medicine:Chuck
> >
> > I understand it allows me to group all Medicine expenses. But will it do
> > any good when I try to group Chuck's Medicine with Chuck's Food ?
>
> Somewhat, yes.  Certainly it's possible, theoretically..  I've never

I vaguely remember a conversation, 2-3 years ago, that I thought
someone was writing code that would allow gnucash to have alternate
heirarchical groupings of accounts, i.e. to overlay different trees
on the same set of accounts, i.e. to have one tree that was organized
as

         Expense:Medicine:Mary
         Expense:Medicine:Chuck

and another as
         Expense:Chuck:Medicine
         Expense:Chuck:Food

?? What happened to this? Who was it who talked about this? Benoit?
wildev? I don't remember.. I'm guessing it never got implemented
(or are there vestiges somewhere that I haven't noticed?)

Alternate overlay would provide a lot of what's desired here.

I mentioned using the 'action' field earlier; the problem with
'action' is that there is no double-balance, no way to prepare
a balanced equity report.   The overalid account tree might
be a marginally better solution.

--linas