Stock Basis and Capital Gains from sale

Steve Wallace s.wal at verizon.net
Tue Jul 15 11:49:02 CDT 2003

I am a new user of GnuCash 1.8.4.  I am located in the USA.  Looking for
a Quicken replacement.  Don't expect a lot of fancy features but need
basic investing capabilities.  I have quickly read through the documents
I have been able to find.  Sections on investing are mostly just
headings, is this because investing features are not yet implemented or
just missing documentation?  I have looked at the Help Manual, the
Concepts & Tutorial Guide did I miss something?

I acquire shares of a stock or mutual fund over a period of several
years.  Shares are purchased at many different prices using new cash or
re-invested dividends.  Commissions or fees may be charged at the time
of purchase and sale.  How do I setup GnuCash to find the basis of the
assets sold and calculate the correct taxable Capital Gain?  Can I
specify the basis calculation method to be used?  For stocks I typically
need to use the FIFO method of determining basis, but sometimes need to
specify the exact lots to be sold.  For Mutual Funds I typically need
single category average cost accounting but sometimes use FIFO.

Sorry for such a basic question.  I must be missing something, but I
don't see how find the basis or capital gains at all.

Thanks,
Steve Wallace