GNUcash crashes on save - losing all changes

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 16 14:59:58 CDT 2003

James Leone <linuxcpa at netscape.net> writes:

> Although to developers this may seem wrong, I do think that this
> attitude, this viewpoint will help Linux gain ground on the desktop. I
> hope that developers will be able to cast aside the obvious unfairness
> to the developer to allow the end user to achieve more.
>
> I do thank the developers very much, and, only wish additional
> capacity for longsuffering to allow the maximum amount of people to
> benefit from their work.

For what it's worth, I agree that anything that causes a crash is a
bug that needs to be fixed.  Even if the user ignored the warning at
startup, that does not mean it's ok for GnuCash to crash.  While I
wish users wouldn't ignore warnings, they do.  The program should deal
"properly" when they do (where "properly" means at least "doesn't
crash").

The bottom line: the program should never crash.

Vincent: my suggestion to you is to file a bug report at
bugzilla.gnome.org to make sure this information doesn't get lost.
Thank you for tracking it down to a permission problem -- we should
track THAT down, too, and try to present a better error message.  (So
perhaps there are two bugs here -- the crash, and the error message
when it fails to write the file).