GNUcash crashes on save - losing all changes

Vincent V vincentv at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Jul 17 15:27:16 CDT 2003

The files are in the same directory as the accounts file itself (and all
the backups). There are two (that I have seen), one is called
filename.LNK, the other filename.some.number.LNK where filename is the
accounts file. I have just tested what 'Open Anyway' does by creating a
set of dummy accounts and copying these to files to different directory,
then I closed GNUcash and copied them back.

When GNUcash started I got the 'file-lock' message and selected Open
Anyway and made and saved some changes. It did sort the file-locks when
it closed normally and removed them. (actually the
filename.some.number.LNK had a new number and the original
filename.some.number.LNK was not actually removed until I started
GNUcash a second time - but there was no file-lock message the second
time). So the answer to your question is 'yes' "Open Anyway" will it
clear the lock for you.

Vince