Cap gains question

Jean-David Beyer jdbeyer at exit109.com
Thu Jul 17 19:08:55 CDT 2003

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Jon Lapham <lapham at extracta.com.br> writes:
>

>>Derek Atkins wrote:
>>
>>>Also, there is the concept of Long Term and Short Term cap gains, which
>>>are treated differently for tax purposes.
>>
>>Good point... I'll need to deal with that.
>>
>>My understanding is that in the US the cutoff is 1 year, right?
>

> In the US, yes.

Well, not exactly. There is a 1-year boundary and a 5-year boundary.
There used to be a 270-day boundary. They change this from time to time
in order to keep tax preparation companies in business, and taxpayers
and voters confused.

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.