Reconciling w/o statement???

Jack McKinney jackmc-gnucash at lorentz.com
Thu Jul 17 18:10:41 CDT 2003

    I never open my bank statement.  I have no need to.  Everyday, I
go to my bank's web site to check what has cleared and mark them off.
    For the last couple of years I have been using my own web-based
accounting system to manage my books.  I recently decided to try GnuCash
again, and am finding myself about to give up and go back to my web
system.
   In my system, I show two balances for my bank accounts: the cleared
balance and the current balance.  The cleared balance only includes
entries which have been marked as cleared.
   I cannot seem to find this balance anywhere in Gnucash.  If I open an
account, and choose "reconcile", it offers me a chance to guess what the
balance is supposed to be, after which it will presumably tell me if I
am correct.  Since it also asks for a "statement date", I have a feeling
it is going to do a lot more when I click "Go" than I want it to do on
a daily basis.
   Further frustrating this is the fact that I keep no money in my
"Cash in Checking" account in Gnucash.  Instead, all of the money is in
subaccount of that account.  The sum of these subaccounts is the total
balance in my bank account.  I use this indirection to manage budgeting.
My subaccounts are "Car", "House", "Utilities", etc.  There is a "all
subaccounts" checkbox in the reconcilation window, but again, I don't
trust the black box.
   Actually, that is probably not what I mean to say.  I think it would
be more accurate to say that I want a read-only way to reconcile my
balance against the bank, and can only find a read-write way to do this
in Gnucash.

   Is there a way to get Gnucash to tell me how much it thinks is in my
bank account?