Cap gains question

Jean-David Beyer jdbeyer at exit109.com
Thu Jul 17 19:12:43 CDT 2003

Jon Lapham wrote:
> Steve Wallace wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 12:12:37PM -0300, Jon Lapham wrote:
>>
>>> So, short term cap gains are considered regular income in terms of
>>> taxes, while long term gets the cap gains tax break?
>>

>> Not exactly, two different concepts.  Although I believe in the US,
>> short term gains are *currently* subject to the same tax rate as
>> ordinary income, they are reported separately on Schedule D and are
>> subject to different tax rules and treatment.  Therefore short term
>> gains from sales need to be reported seperately from other sources of
>> income.
>>

> huh, interesting.  So, really, for investments, we should have an income
> account structure like this:
>
> -Income
>    -Unrealized Gains

I doubt the above. From a tax point of view, unrealized gains are not
gains at all and not taxable. There may be exception if you own a
Chapter S corporation where you are taxed on profits of the corporation
even if they are not distributed to you as a stockholder. Best advice
here is to never own an Chapter S corporation.

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.