2 questions on stock prices

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Fri Jul 18 10:03:22 CDT 2003

rneri wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using Gnucash 1.8.4, and I have set the default currency to Euro.
> First question: how can I persuade Gnucash not to round stock prices when I enter a transaction (e.g. 0.9907 is automatically changed
> to 1, which is not what I want)?

Hmmm, well, you could turn on the preferences General -> "automatic
decimal point" and set auto decimal places to 4.  This will affect
everything you do, however, not just you stock portfolios.

Maybe there is a better way?  I don't know.

> Second question: in the Accounts main window, Gnucash shows the no. of shares; is there a way I can make it show the value (shares *
> price) instead?

If you have a parent asset account above the stock account which has its
commodity set to euros, the value displayed in this parent account will
be your stocks*stock price

Like this:

-assets           EU 234
    -investments    EU 234
       -ABC Stock   100 ABC

(this is assuming you've set the stock price in the price editor)

The only wrinkle is that this parent account will sum up *all* the
accounts below it, so in the situation with multiple stocks:

-assets           EU 434
    -investments    EU 434
       -ABC Stock   100 ABC
       -DEF Stock   50 DEF

You do not see the value of each stock, just thte total value.

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil