2 questions on stock prices

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Fri Jul 18 12:26:34 CDT 2003

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Jon Lapham <lapham at extracta.com.br> writes:
>>
>> Hmmm, well, you could turn on the preferences General -> "automatic
>> decimal point" and set auto decimal places to 4.  This will affect
>> everything you do, however, not just you stock portfolios.
>>
>> Maybe there is a better way?  I don't know.
>
> You can check the "fraction" of the commodity...

Hmmm, tried this, didn't work.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  I set
the fraction of a stock to 1/10000 then entered a price of 1.001 in the
register window, the 1.001 turned into "1".

But, if I enter a price of 1.01, it correctly displays "1.01".

Oh, I guess that is because the commodity of the "price" is some money,
not the stock itself.  Is there a way to change the fraction of the
money commodity?

>>>Second question: in the Accounts main window, Gnucash shows the
>>>no. of shares; is there a way I can make it show the value (shares *
>>>price) instead?
>>

>>If you have a parent asset account above the stock account which has its
>>commodity set to euros, the value displayed in this parent account will
>>be your stocks*stock price
>

> There is an easier way: Go to the "Options" of the account tree and
> turn on the "total balance in report currency" column.

Damn, you guys really know what you are doing.  Everytime I find
something new about GC, I'm more impressed.  Good job!

PS: added this text to the investment documentation on stocks (section 7.4):

The main account window will by show you the quantity of each commodity
that you own, under the column heading <quote>total</quote>.  In the
case of stocks, this commodity is the number of shares.  Often, however,
you will want to see the monetary value of your stocks.  This is easily
accomplished by entering the account options and select to display the
<quote>Total in report currency</quote> column.

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil