investment terminology and types

David Ayers fogey at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 22 09:06:43 CDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:25:25 -0300
Jon Lapham <lapham at extracta.com.br> wrote:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Yes, but so long as you "set them up" as part of the Bank settings,
> > that's fine with me.  Duplicating information is not necessarily a
> > bad thing ;)
> >

> Oh, yes, the "checkbook only" crowd of GnuCash users will not have to
> look in the investment chapter for anything.  The setup of simple bank
>
> accounts will be clearly (and is now) explained in earlier chapters.
>
> Great, we are in agreement.  I think the "duplicate the info" solution
>
> satisfies you, me, and Steve.
>
> --
> -**-*-*---*-*---*-*---*-----*-*-----*---*-*---*-----*-----*-*-----*---
>   Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
>   Work: Extracta Moléculas Naturais SA     http://www.extracta.com.br/
>   Web: http://www.jandr.org/
> ***-*--*----*-------*------------*--------------------*---------------

Hi Jon,

I am planning to switch from Quicken to GnuCash and have been following
this thread. If I understand what you all are saying, for an investment
account with check writing privileges I could set up the cash balance as
a bank account and also include the same cash balance in the investment
account so the interest will be included in investment return. Am I
reading you correctly?

When entering the interest income from the account statement, I assume
this can be handled with a single transaction with debits and credits to
the proper accounts. Is this right?

Dave

--
David Ayers