UK company VAT account structure, updated

Vincent V vincentv at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Jul 23 14:20:24 CDT 2003

Jon
Putting the notes int a localised section of the main documentation is a
geat idea. I have also placed the (slightly exteded) notes into the VAT
account's notes itself - reprodcued below.

Now as for the xea file I prduced a set of accounts and named the file
acctchrt_ukvat.gnucash-xea
I then edited the file as follows:

place a 'wrapper' around the original file contens so it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gnc-account-example>
    <gnc-act:title>
     UK VAT accounts
    </gnc-act:title>
    <gnc-act:short-description>
      Accounts to help record data for and complete UK VAT returns
    </gnc-act:short-description>
    <gnc-act:long-description>
    You would want to select this set of accounts if you have a small
business in the UK and are VAT registered. They provide a structure to
assist in recording VAT information and filling out the VAT return.
</gnc-act:long-description>

.......rest of file...........

</gnc:account>
</gnc-account-example>

<!-- Local variables: -->
<!-- mode: xml        -->
<!-- End:             -->

removed the 'inner wrapper' which did not appear in the other xea files

<gnc-v2>
<gnc:count-data cd:type="book">1</gnc:count-data>
<gnc:book version="(null)">
<book:id type="guid">6c117d478acee0716a20877739170964</book:id>
<gnc:count-data cd:type="account">67</gnc:count-data>

.......rest of file...........

</gnc:book>
</gnc-v2>

Is this correct?

The trouble is that I can't test it; when I start the 'new file' druid
it doesn't show any accounts files at all - just a blank selection. If I
try to load any xea file manually - using file:open - I get an error
message saying that the file was created usng a later version of gnucash
than mine (even the file I just created) and I should upgrade. Actually
I suppose it has a point, the xml code does clearly say <gnc:account
version="2.0.0"> adnI'm running 1.8.1

Vince

__________Notes____________________
Disclaimer
This account structure has been produced for my own own business accounts
and made genereally available in the hope that it will be useful to others.

I believe it provides all the information required to complete the UK
VAT forms for
a small business but I am not a VAT or Tax expert so treat it with
caution and
check that meets your needs.

It is based on information provided by VAT notices on the Customs and
Excise
website in July 2003 (www.hmce.gov.uk)
mainly VAT Notice: 700/12 (www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/notices/700-12.htm)
with reerences to  VAT notices 725 and 741.

Please report any errors or ommisions

Vince
vincentv at dsl.pipex.com
gnucash-user at lists.gnucash.org

Usage and explanation
(Box n) refers to VAT form box number

Add all the (Box n -part)  together to get the whole (Box n)
The VAT shows your liability - if its negative they owe you.

When you pay your VAT bill, transfer your net payment from your bank account
to VAT:o/p, and also transfer your net VAT:i/p to VAT:o/p.
If C&E pay you then transfer their payment from VAT:i/p to your bank
account,
and also transfer your net VAT:o/p to VAT:i/p.

Capital Equipment (Box 7 - part) and (Box 6 - part) is the value of all
*additions*
(purcahses) made over the VAT return period - not the absolute value,
nor the
difference in value unless that difference is wholey due to new purchases.
Depreciation, losses (e.g a write off of faulty items) and other
reductions in capital
value are not included. If you sell a capital item then that sale and
its VAT is
recorded under Income. The asset is 'converted to cash', so the 'net of
VAT'
increase in your bank account (when the invoice is payed) must be
matched by
a decrease in capital.

Charging zero rate VAT (EEC VAT registered businesses, and world sales) is
not the same as not charging VAT and should be recorded. Do not assume that
because your customer is an EEC VAT registered business or is outside of
the
EEC that you can zero rate the VAT. If a service is considered to have
taken place
in the UK then you must charge the appropriate UK VAT - the rules for
determining
'place of supply' of a service are complicated, ask Customs and Excise
if you are
not sure.

Boxes 8 and 9 are to do with the recording (for statistical purposes) of
the physical
movements of goods across the EEC, so they do not include services or items
considered as services (e.g. downloaded software or other electronically
provided
'goods'). This is another fairly complicated area - does software
shipped on CD
count as goods? Also, if your trade exceeds a certain value, then you
have to
file a more detailed report than provided in boxes 8 and 9. Ask Customs
and Excise
if you are not sure.