Payroll take 2

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 23 18:50:17 CDT 2003

Dale Alspach <alspach at math.okstate.edu> writes:

> To me this is not a double entry problem but an accrual vs cash accounting
> question. Businesses are generally required to use accrual so the liability
> appears when the employee has earnings even though an employer may only
> remit monthly or quarterly to the government.

Well, yes and no.  The cash v. accrual issue is orthogonal to the
double-entry issue.  See bug #95700.

> This brings up one other question for the payroll section. Many employers
> actually do not pay on the last day of a pay period but several days later.
> The system outlined will be technically incorrect during period the between the
> end of the pay period and the actual distribution of checks to employees.
> This could occur over an accounting period boundary with a resulting
> problem with,  for example, end of year reports.

This all boils down to the cash v. accrual issue, and period handling.
Again I'll refer to bug #95700 and also #106383.  I'll also refer you
to previous threads on this (in particular in gnucash-devel).