step-by-step guide on setting up small business accounting

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Wed Jul 23 20:41:58 CDT 2003

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I look forward to your very first "Account Setup" documentation, because
> editing an already exist file (as suggested in the "Business Quick Start
> Guide") doesn't seem like a good idea. Since it doesn't explain how to
> create the Chart of Accounts from scratch.

Well, it appears that most likely each section of the chapter will have
an account setup.  I guess we could have a "grand master" business
account setup... have to think about that a bit.

There is a "Business Accounts" option available from the New File druid.
  But, you will still have to hand edit *any* account heirarchy someone
gives you.

> I am hoping for some instructions that say "to get started click on ..."
> for each step.
>
> (We had tried to use the wizard a few different ways a few different
> times, but it never worked out to be easy to later add payments and bills.
> For us, it is not intuitive -- probably since we have no accounting
> software experience to base it on. By the way, I currently do my
> invoicing via some perl scripts I wrote that generate HTML based on
> tab-delimited files which I hand maintain using bc(1) and vi(1); then I
> use html2ps and ps2pdf to finalize these customer PDF invoices. I am
> hoping to do this properly by using gnucash :) )

Well, damn!  perl script, bc, vi oh my.  GnuCash wil be a walk in the park.

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil