GNUcash crashes on save - losing all changes

Bill Wohler wohler at newt.com
Wed Jul 23 23:30:24 CDT 2003

Chris Shenton <chris at shenton.org> writes:

> Vincent V <vincentv at dsl.pipex.com> writes:
>
>> If the files exist then the user should be warned that 'The accounts
>> file seems to be in use' (rather than the cryptic 'GNUcash could not
>> obtain the lock' - which is only meaningful to the developers) and
>> given the choice to 'Open as read-only' or 'If you are sure that no
>> one else is using it then Open Normally'
>
> I like this last one :-)

I agree, this verbiage is better.

Note that I save early and save often, and sometimes exit Gnome without
quitting gnucash, so I get this warning quite often. In addition to
using a more user-centric message, we can do better.

Since the files might be accessed via NFS, gnucash can't simply check
the lock file and see if there is a gnucash process with the given PID
or not. So, gnucash needs to do a better job cleaning up the lock file.
The lock file should be removed any time gnucash goes away, so in
addition to normal exit, gnucash should catch SIGHUP and SIGTERM and
remove the lock files if those signals are caught.

I'm--um--on a sailboat in Hawaii right now and this message is only
getting to you because I managed to find a network for a few seconds. If
someone would be kind enough to put the previous paragraph in bugzilla,
I'd appreciate it.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler at newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD