Gnu-cash with Java

marthter marthter at yahoo.ca
Sat Jul 26 13:18:44 CDT 2003

Benoit Grégoire wrote:

>On July 25, 2003 03:08 pm, Ashish Arte wrote:
>

>>Sorry for being very vague in my first mail.
>>
>>What I wanted to say was: gnucash is developed in C,
>>so is there any work being done to use the gnucash
>>libraries & API to integrate them with some Java based
>>tool. This might be useful for applications(
>>especially web based ) to provide frontend and let the
>>gnucash api handle all the functionality.
>>

>No such work has been started.  There once was perl bindings that
>unfortunately bitroted.  Java bindings similar to the perl ones are perfectly
>imaginable.

I'm guessing here, but if you set up GnuCash with the Postgres database
as the back-end data store, it seems to me that it should be possible to
write other front-ends (including Java) that just use ODBC access to
manipulate accounts and transactions.  Of course you would have to learn
enough about the GnuCash data models to make sure any data you changed
from your front-end remained consistent so it would still be useable
from the normal GnuCash UI too.

On the other hand, if that data model is very complicated, it may be
hard to consistently SQLify your transactions in there yourself without
corrupting the data.  In that case, the bindings idea is probably better
because you could just call the GnuCash functions and let GnuCash worry
about keeping the data internally consistent.

~Martin