Can gnucash accounts be merged?

BenoitGrégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Sun Jul 27 22:36:27 CDT 2003

On July 18, 2003 07:18 pm, Kaaren Shalom & Richard Gilligan wrote:
> Sometimes I need to combine two accounts into one.  Is there a fast way
> to do this?
>
> To date I have been cutting and pasting individual transactions.
>
> (I tried renaming one account the same as the other account which left
> me with two accounts of the same name.  That seems reasonable.)
>
> Does anyone else find themselves wishing they could rapidly join two
> accounts?

This isn't the first it's been asked, tough I don't think there is an official
RFE in bugzilla.  There is currently no truly convenient way to do it as far
as I know.

However, this may be quite a bit faster:
-Open the register for the account that will disapear ("Acc A")
-Set the View to "Auto-Split Ledger" or "Transaction journal"
-For each transaction, change the split labelet "Acc A" to "Acc B"
-Once every transaction disapeared, close the register and delete the account.

I hope this helps...
--
Benoit Grégoire
http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/