Scheduled transactions documentation

Trevor Barton tmb at isotek.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 11:44:43 CDT 2003

Hi,

I'm looking for docs on how to create scheduled transactions (in 1.8.4) but
can't seem to find anything other than the brief description in the 1.8.1 help
files.  Is there anywhere else?

Specifically, I have two questions, both of which have pretty easy workarounds
but I'd like to know if I'm missing something.

There seems to be some mention of "variables" in the "Since last run..." druid,
but I can't find if that means anything and if it does what it means.  I'm
hoping that it'll let me enter values for some parts of a scheduled transaction
and allow other parts to be automatically calculated, for example, splits
regarding salary where tax and other deductions varies each month but the gross
remains fixed and the amount actually going into the final (bank) account is
variable.  Am I hoping for the wrong thing here?

I is possible to set up an SX with an initial payment followed by regular
payments with a different amount?  That's common for all sorts of things here in
the UK, where the first payment takes into account any odd pennies to make the
remaining payments equal and integer numbers of pence.

Also, once a transaction is entered in the SX editor window, a second
transaction entry field appears.  What's the purpose, if any, of that.  Can I
enter a different transaction in there and have both performed at once, for example?

I think I may have uncovered a bug in the SX mechanism.  I tried entereing a
transaction that occurs every 4 weeks by calling it an automatically entered
"weekly" transaction and setting it of a friday every 4 weeks.  GnuCash would
then hang either exiting the editor dialogue box or when it tried to
automatically enter the transaction, using no CPU, but responding to no mouse or
keyboard input.  I worked around that by making it a "daily" transaction every
28 days which works perfectly.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Trev

--
Trevor Barton
Isotek Electronics Ltd., 9 Clayton Wood Bank, Leeds, LS16 6QZ, UK.