How to enter dividends?

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Wed Jul 30 09:55:56 CDT 2003

Derek Atkins wrote:

> "J. Perkins" <jason at 379.com> writes:
>>Okay, let me try a hopefully simpler question...how do you enter
>>dividends and automatic reinvestments? Any tips?
 >
 > xfer from Income:Divideds -> stock/mutual-fund account

Derek-

I just added this info the the investment chapter.  For the situation
where the dividends are automatically reinvested (like in some mutual
funds for example), this works great because you can enter the number of
new shares the dividends bought.  But, what do you recommend people do
when you receive cash dividends?

For example:

-Asset
   -Broker
     -Cash
     -Stock1

Stock1 pays cash dividends, and you find the money sitting in your
"Cash" account at your broker.  I've been fiddling around with split
transactions in a stock account, and it doesn't seem very obvious how to
record this.

Maybe simply Income::Dividends -> Cash and bypass the Stock1 account all
together?

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil