How to enter dividends?

Jason Rennie jrennie at ai.mit.edu
Wed Jul 30 15:51:01 CDT 2003

lapham at extracta.com.br said:
> It is really only important for cash dividend payments, right?
> Reinvested dividends are tracked right in the stock account.

No.  If you want to fully track the stock/fund, you should really make
separate dividend accounts for each stock/fund and have all dividend
payments (cash or reinvestment) go into that account.  Of course, most
people probably won't care to be so detailed...  The information is
useful however.  It allows you to track per-stock/fund performance very
easily.

lapham at extracta.com.br said:
> But, thinking about this a bit, for the case of cash dividends,
> couldn't  this "per-stock" summary be done with a report?  We could
> have a report  in which you choose the Dividend income account, and it
> finds common  "Description"s and creates a summary?

Like Derek says.  Too easy to make a mistake...

Jason