Compile help needed - "make"ing 1.8.4 on SuSE 8.2

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 5 22:15:26 CDT 2003

John Reynolds <gnucash at reynj.fastmail.fm> writes:

> Derek,
> Thanks for your help. I still have trouble.
>
> > This implies that you probably have multiple versions of g-wrap
> > installed on your system.
>
> I'll take your word for it... my skill level says "no", but how would I check
> like a pro?

Well, "locate g-wrap" would be one way.  Other is "find / -name \*g-wrap\* -print".

> > >         gw-core-utils.c:6:34: g-wrap-compatibility.h: No such file or
> >
> > And this implies that you do NOT have current g-wrap installed
> > properly, or at least the compiler can't find it (or is finding the
> > earlier version instead).  Either that or the g-wrap-devel RPM you
> > installed is broken.
> >
> Now again, I know better that to doubt you, I have read MANY of your posts and
> you are the de facto Oracle for this list...
> GnuCash 1.8.0 is installed (by suse system installation) and works. Perhaps
> gw-core-utils.c is only needed when compiling? ?

Well, gw-core-utils.c is part of the gnucash source tree.  The problem
is the missing g-wrap-compatibility.h, which should be part of the g-wrap-devel
package (or whatever SuSE calls it).

> Now, I work from the assumption that g-wrap is NOT installed correctly...  I
> can't find RPM's, go to compile g-wrap-1.3.4, ./configure completes, make
> fails with this error:

Well, there should be RPMs.  Indeed, there has to be RPMs for the
gnucash-1.8.0 RPM to work successfully.  So you're best off trying
to find the SuSE g-wrap development RPM, but I have no clue what it
might be named.

> <<Code Section>>
[snip]
> <<End Code Section>>
>
> So... do I correct this problem (and how) and then hope it will correct my
> first problem?

Remove the -Werror from all g-wrap Makefile (or Makefile.in) files..
That should help here.

Also, I would recommend you use ./configure --prefix=/opt/g-wrap-1.3.4
to make it easier to uninstall it later.  Similarly, I would recommend
you install gnucash into /opt/gnucash-1.8