Compile help needed - "make"ing 1.8.4 on SuSE 8.2

John Reynolds gnucash at reynj.fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 7 17:23:30 CDT 2003

Well here is the wrap up on this issue. I did get it working, and learned some
more in the process. It wasn't too bad to conquer either.

I followed Derek's advise for getting g-wrap to compile (remove -Werror from
the makefile. I must have seen him post this answer a 100 times, but somehow
I just thought I was different, but I'm not.), and it worked.

I followed his advise of --prefix=/opt/g-wrap-1.3.4 and was able to see the
g-wrap-compatibility.h file I was missing. My suse set was still looking for
it at /usr/include/g-wrap (which is logical, since I had not specified where
it was now located.) and not knowing how to correct this, I just copied the
files to where suse would like to find them. I Don't think this was Derek's
intent for me to do... but it worked.

I then ran into the same problem with OFX and OpenSP. Which is, SuSE must
install them as part of the gnucash rpm and not as separate packages with
related -devel rpms. My thanks to Christian Stemming for confirming my
suspicion. make'd OpenSP and then OFX and again copied them to the proper
locations. All works.

And to Bill Wisse's idea of using the 1.8.4 RPM's from www.usr-local-bin.org
... well had I known about it I may have been tempted to use it, but, call me
a masochist, I like solving problems, and this was just about my skill level.
I like being able to get the lastest source for gnucash and be able to
compile it myself. Beside the satisfaction it gives me, I like the control
over what is happinging to my system.

Last remaining problem: Documentation. I compiled and installed to
/opt/gnucash-doc-1.8.1 but couldn't figure out how to repoint gnucash to it.
I did see that ./gnucash --doc-path PATH should work, but I don't get any
success. Error is (all one line):
gnucash: [E] "non-list given for --doc-path:
""/opt/gnucash-doc-1.8.1/share/gnome/help/gnucash/"

sooo... I see the file structure and notice that SuSE likes docs at
/opt/gnome/share/gnome/help/gnucash/
and that all I would have to do to get it installed there is
--prefix=/opt/gnome
works as expected (it installs everything to the desired dir sturcture), but
still no joy.

Anyway, sorry so long a post, just wanted to post my expirence and result. If
anyone can help on this doc problem let me know.
Thanks,
John