Advice for converting from MS Money

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 12 14:48:00 CDT 2003

dennett at rochester.rr.com (Charles Denentt) writes:

> Anyhow, to get to my point.  I've printed off Dave Gilbert's Users's
> Guide (yeah, I'm old fashioned and like the printed docs) and have
> been going through the list archives (BTW, April 2003 is messed up.)
> Are there any pointers or advice or things to watch out for from
> anyone who may have done this in the past?  Any "gotchas" I need to
> be aware of?

I'm not sure what "Dave Gilbert's User's Guide" is.  That might be the
"old" user's guide -- there is more recent one available in the
GnuCash-Docs package (which I believe is also available online).

And yes, we know the April archives are missing -- there was a disk
crash and failed backups.

> Oh, one other thing I thought of.  When using Money, I had archived
> records after the end of each year.  This left several accounts with
> negative starting balances.  Don't know if this will mess up the
> export/import process.

I dont know how the QIF is going to look, so it's possible this may
be a problem.  I don't know.