Invoices and Currency

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 18 13:31:46 CDT 2003

Roy Nicholl <RNicholl at NBNet.nb.ca> writes:

> I'm hoping that I have made an obvious oversight where thre is an easy
> answer.
>
> I am using GnuCash to keep books for a small business. Since GnuCash
> does not have the concept of Purchase Orderss, I have been creating a
> bill each time I generate a PO.
>
> My default currency is CAD, however I have the need to both create
> invoices and generated POs [receive bills] in other currencies - namely
> USD and EUR.
>
> In the case of bills (POs), I have set-up the Vendor as having a
> currency of USD or EUR.  Likewise for invoices and customers.  However,
> when I generate either and invoice or bill (PO) to any of these vendors
> or customers, it is in CAD.  I do not mind if the bill/PO shows its
> total in CAD, but I should be able to specify each item on the Bill/PO
> in the currency in which it was incurred.  In the case of invoices, I
> need to both have each item and the total in the native currency ... if
> a total in CAD is also shown, then that is OK.
>
> So how do I make this happen?

It can't.

Invoices currently are single-currency, and make the (incorrect)
assumption that all accounts you use are in the same currency.

If you're dealing with three currencies, then you need to create
three A/R accounts (one in each currency), and three A/P accounts,
and you need three sets of Income and three sets of expense accounts.

Sorry.  I wrote the business code with my personal usage in mind, and
well, I don't have the multi-currency problem.  A lot of the
infrastructure is in place to handle multi-currency, but it's not
finished.

So, for now, you need to keep three sets of accounts.  Sorry.