GST accountant questions (was Re: Inventory and GST)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 23 03:10:59 CDT 2003

marthter <marthter at yahoo.ca> writes:

> My question is for any real accountants out there:  If I sell a
> product and collect GST on it (which has to be forwarded to the taxman
> quarterly), it seems that that money (which I am calling GST Income)
> should be increasing both my assets (because it goes in my bank
> account - for a while at least), AND increasing my liabilities
> (because I have to forward it to the taxman quarterly).  How can one
> income item go into two places?  Is there a "right" way to account for
> this?  Perhaps I shouldn't really be calling it income at all?  My
> hunch is that there may be two "right" ways to do it, and either are
> okay as long as you are consistent.

It's not income, it's just a liability.  So it goes from
liability:collected-GST -> asset and then asset ->
liability:collected-GST when you pay it.  It doesn't touch an Income
account (because it isn't income).  With the business tools it
would go from:

        liability:collected-GST -> A/R                  <- invoice posted
        A/R -> Cash                                     <- invoice paid
        Cash -> liability:collected-GST                 <- GST paid to gov't

> Also, when I forward the GST that I've collected to the taxman, should
> I just call that a negative entry in GST income (and decrease to my
> bank account accordingly)?  That thinking doesn't seem to work with
> the notion that the GST I've collected is increasing my liability, and
> then when I forward it to the taxman, that reduces my liability.
> Which thinking is correct?

Well, how you account for it is up to you...  But I would use asset
and liability accounts intead of income and expense accounts when
dealing with taxes.  I would certainly do that when dealing with
"collected taxes"..  Taxes that are paid but never count to anything
are expenses, but taxes you pay that are then applied elsewhere
(reducing your tax liability, for example) is an asset.

> Regards.
>
> ~Martin
>

> p.s. An interesting spin on the "what is taxable?" question (hot
> chicken vs cold chicken, etc).  As I understand it, EVERYTHING in
> Canada is taxable, it is just that some things (like cold chicken and
> other groceries) are currently taxed at a 0% rate.  This was glossed
> over by the people who argue that essentials should not be taxed, yet
> it allows the government to raise the rate in the future with a mere
> federal budget announcement, rather than passing a whole new law
> through Parliament to change the definition of what is taxable.

I think it varies everywhere.  The Tax Table infrastructure is
flexible so you can define your own tables in your own juristictions.

-derek