A simple End-of-Period question

James Leone linuxcpa at netscape.net
Thu Jun 26 19:50:13 CDT 2003

davidxgreen at netscape.net wrote:

>I have a very simple question regarding the closing of accounts at the end of the accounting period.
>

>I have been running GnuCash for a couple of months in a trial manner and want to tranisition to full use for the next financial year (July 03 - Jun 04).
>
>How do I close off the accounts and begin afresh in the new accounting year? That is, roll-over the balances but clear out the transactions?

Just like with quickbooks you don't need to close the year, you just set
your report perameters to match the time period that you want to report on.

There was a recent patch to the balance sheet and I think it will be a
part of the next version of Gnucash. It will let you set a time in which
to report p&l on the balance sheet as a component of retained earnings.
You can do monthly, quarterly, even daily reports.

Gnucash's data files do not take a lot of space, so it seems that
closing the year and separating transactions is more of a problem then
what it is worth.

James Leone