Examples for entering transactions

Gerlich, Rene Rene.Gerlich at commerzbank.com
Mon Jun 30 13:52:11 CDT 2003

hi  ralph,

i'm not sure. at least i can't think of any way. do you have your
girlfriends and your books separate?

because if you do i don't think there is any way that makes sense from the
book-keeping point of view. if you only pay half of the tv you can only book
half the expenses for you.

however, if you kept books for the both of you together, you can book the
complete expenses for the tv-set agains two branches in the assets tree...
your girlfriends and yours.

assets->ralph->cash 50%		to	expenses->tv-set 100%
and assets->girlfriend->cash 50%

if you pay for it all and your girlfriend owes you half, you can create an
account assets->ralph->loans_to_girlfriend and another
liabilities->girlfriend->owes_to_ralph. this is not very elegant, cause it
would actually change the net worth of your co-operation with your
girlfriend. another option would be to have an account
assets->girlfiend->loans_to_ralph and have this one go into dept. this is
not very much more elegant, but at least it keeps your net worth transparent
to the outside world. do you understand what i mean, i am not sure if i get
the point accross ok in english.

i hope this was of any help...

cheers

rene