Is Income Tax withholding an Asset or an Expense ??

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Mar 2 15:00:14 CST 2003

Hi,

As an _employer_ the income tax you withold is a liability (because it
is money you have but you owe to the govt).  Then it gets transfered
to an 'expense' when you pay it to the gov't monthly, quarterly, or
yearly.

As an employee, you could treat the tax withheld as an asset and then
transfer to an expense (or back to Bank) when you file your taxes.
However, I think most people just consider the income-tax withheld as
an expense and file it there directly, mostly because it's a lot
easier to think about it this way, and not everyone gets a tax refund
regularly.

You may consider talking to an accountant about more complicated means
to setup your accounts if you really want to look at it this way.

-derek