GnuCash 1.8.0-1.RH8.0 refused to enter transaction

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Mar 2 23:00:44 CST 2003

Roland Roberts <roland at astrofoto.org> writes:

>     >> Stil getting this message:
>     >>
>     >> Warning: PrintAmountInternal: Bad numeric.
>     >>
>     >> Don't know about the other error, since I'm not sure what
>     >> triggered it in the first place.
>
>     Derek> Perhaps you have data with a bad numeric?  It's a bit hard
>     Derek> to tell from here.
>
> Perhaps, but how would I search for it and how would I tell?  I have 8
> years of data in GnuCash, imported from Quicken dating back to the
> beginning of 1995.

Use the search and limit it to a couple transactions?  "binary
search"?  I thought this particular bug was fixed by 1.8.1, but I
could be wrong.  But without seeing your data it's hard to know.

> Also, although I only printed the message once, I get *lots* of them.
> Maybe one bogus value is enough the generate all of them?

Well, that tends to imply a bunch of bogus values.  Albeit unlikely,
it could be the problem.  It could also be an actual bug.  As I said,
hard to tell without sample data exhibiting the problem.

> After upgrading to 1.8, my mutual funds and stock no longer show
> dollar values in the main account window.  Is that normal or could it
> be another symptom of the same problem

This is normal..  Stock accounts show the number of shares you've got,
not the dollar-value of those stocks (because the dollar value varies
day-to-day as the price fluctuates).  We're still working on getting
"stock support" right.  It was better back in the 1.2 days, then got
"broken", and has still not quite recovered back to the "works right"
stage again.  In particular, gnucash doesn't deal with cap gains
properly...