replacement for classes in quicken

John Altstadt altstadt at telus.net
Fri Mar 7 21:26:48 CST 2003

I would like to find a good way to emulate the idea of classes in quicken.

I have searched through the archives for this group (19 Meg file) and
found two separate threads on this topic, the most recent being a year ago.

One message in the first thread suggested that the Action field could be
used for this. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as expected with find and
reports. For the following, I had set the Credit Card Register
View/Style to Auto-Split Ledger with one line.

1) If only the first split entered in a transaction is labeled with an
Action, then Find using "Action/contains" works as expected. However,
Find using "Action/does not contain" finds everything, because half of
the splits do not contain that Action. Additional Finds and/or more
criteria are required to get the expected results. This would be easier
to deal with if Find criteria could be saved to generate a report with a
single action.

2) If all splits in a transaction are labeled with the same Action and
then Find is used to select transactions, a report built from the
results makes a simple sum of liabilities and assets to come up with an
incorrect result. E.g. if there are two charges made on a credit card,
$20 and $40, and then a $30 payment is made to the card, the report will
come up with a balance of $90 instead of $30.

So far, the best way I have found to emulate classes is by treating the
Num field as the class. I rarely use cheques so I am not inconvenienced
by the loss of the field, but I don't know if this will cause problems
somewhere else.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,
John