multiple users, multiple systems

David dcorking at yahoo.fr
Sun Mar 9 15:12:06 CST 2003

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003, Paul wrote:

> Can GnuCash be accessed by more than one user at the same time, without
> data corruption?

No - not without the postgresql backend.  Limitations of the features
of the current version of the postgresql backend were discussed
recently on this mailing list.

**Unless** you mean serially (that is - one person must close gnucash
before another opens it) in which case the lock file is used to
prevent corruption.

There are a couple of ways to do this.  See these 2 links

http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2003-February/005738.html

http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2003-March/005862.html

> How could I "project" the GnuCash window to a M$-Windows desktop?  I'm
> running RedHat 8.0, but my other PC is running WinXP. (This is important
> because the wife's first choice is M$-Money. If I can't get GnuCash to
> display under Windows, I could have an adoption issue.)

Probably you will get most flexibility by using a Windows X server.
There are several on the market.  The X server I use is the XFree86
that is included in cygwin.  It works well with gnucash.

XFree86 and cygwin are free software, the only disadvantage is that
no-one sells cygwin CDs afaik - you have to download from www.cygwin.com,
free-of-charge.  Don't run X servers except behind a firewall (or a
personal firewall) because unless you know what you are doing they
open up ports with only weak authentication.

David