Transfer between Accounts with different Currencies

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 11 10:51:32 CST 2003

FBO <fbo2 at gmx.net> writes:

> 1.8.1

Well, you can try 1.8.2, but I don't think much has been changed in this
area.

> I've got 2 Accounts, one's Currency is German Mark (DEM), the other's is
> Euro (EUR). I'll name the accounts according to their currencies.
>
> I want to transfer 100 DEM from "EUR" to "DEM", a Dialog "Transfer Funds"
> opens, showing this:
>
>  <X> Exchange Rate:   1,95583
>  < > To Amount:
>
>     1 DEM = 1,95583
>     1 EUR = 0,511292
>
> These values are correct. I Click "OK", gnucash adds a line in my
> "DEM"-Register, showing +100. But the line added to the "EUR"-Register shows
> -195,58.

You say these values are correct.  Well, if 1 DEM == 1,95583 EUR, then
100 DEM == 195,58 EUR.  What seems to be the problem?

> When I add another transaction of 100 DEM leaving the "Transfer Funds"
> dialog as follows (*wrong* values):
>
>  <X> Exchange Rate: 0,511292
>  < > To Amount:
>
>     1 DEM = 0,511292
>     1 EUR = 1,95583
>
> it seems to work ("DEM": +100,00 ; "EUR": -51,13).

Again, here you have 1 DEM = 0,511292 EUR, so 100 DEM = 51,13 EUR.
Again, the math works fine.

> Can someone tell me, how to fix this or is it a bug?

What is there to fix?  The math is working right in both cases.
The only issue appears to be which exchange rate you are using.

Being a "stupid american" I have no clue what the conversion between
DEM and EUR is supposed to be.  But looking at your examples above
the resulting transactions are 100% correct based on the conversion
rates you've used.