Using OFX support

Steve Cooper stevencooper at isomedia.com
Tue Mar 11 21:37:00 CST 2003

Hello,

I'm not clear on how to get started connecting to my bank's online
support.  Of course it's the only feature that keeps me running MS
Money in a Win4Lin window.  I'd love to break that nasty habit. :-)
Gnucash looks like just the ticket.

A quick scan of the documentation only showed how to find the file
import menu item for .OFX files.  Do I have to manually download the
file?  If so, I don't know exactly how to find it online.  My bank is
First Tech (www.1sttech.com).  They definitely implement OFX, but only
provide links for QIF file download.

A proxy logged the following activity when MS Money downloaded bank
transactions (timestamps deleted).

CONNECT   Connect (file descriptor 10): localhost [127.0.0.1]
CONNECT   Request (file descriptor 10): CONNECT ofx.1sttech.com:443 HTTP/1.0
CONNECT   Established connection to host "ofx.1sttech.com" using file descriptor 11.
INFO      Not sending client headers to remote machine
INFO      Closed connection between local client (fd:10) and remote client (fd:11)

I experimented with http://ofx.1sttech.com:43 in mozilla.  It
downloaded a binary file called m2ohhivc.bin.  But I'm at a loss what
to do from here.

How can I find where the OFX file lives?  Or even better, how can I
coax gnucash into using the URL to access the OFX data directly using
the OFX protocol?  Or am I missing something?

I'm on a Debian system running gnucash 1.8.2.  I am using the unstable
binary package, rather than building from source.  I assume if the OFX
menu item is present that OFX support is compiled in?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post!
Steve

--