Problem compiling g-wrap

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 18 21:05:44 CST 2003

Hi,

Chris Hogan <hoganc_26 at yahoo.ca> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've been working for some time to get GnuCash installed from source...
> but it's not there just yet.  I've successfully installed Guile 1.6.1,
> SLIB 2d5, and gotten through most of my obstacles so far with g-wrap
> (thanks to this list and from reading the archives)... but I can't get
> around this one. Below is what I get from doing a `make` (after a
> successful `./configure` and `make clean`).  It seems that make has
> trouble finding the necessary header files when trying to compile
> gw-test-glib.lo. Upon inspection, this makes sense as the desired
> headers files exist in the `../g-wrap` directory, which is not covered
> in the search path.  Am I right in my diagnosis of the problem?  How
> should I resolve this?  (Side note, I'm running RedHat 8.1 and I've
> gotten all of my source code from the GnuCash web site).

Is there any reason you don't just install the g-wrap-1.3.4 and
gnucash-1.8.2 RPMS that Red Hat distributes for RH-8.1?

> Another (related) question... what is the meaning of
>
> cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory XXXXXX
> cc1: warning:   as it has already been specified as a non-system
> directory

This is because rlb was confused about the gcc-3.2 issue and
therefore failed to properly correct for it.

> I have seen this many times while I've been working on getting GnuCash
> installed... though I do not understand what causes it nor it's
> importance.

GCC 3.2 complains when you manually add a directory to the include
path that is already a part of the system include path.  In other
words, gcc complains when you add -I/usr/include or
-I/usr/local/include to the gcc command-line.

[snip]
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/glib-1.2
> -I/usr/lib/glib/include -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include -MT gw-test-glib.lo
> -MD -MP -MF .deps/gw-test-glib.Tpo -c gw-test-glib.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o
> .libs/gw-test-glib.lo
> cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory
> "/usr/local/include"
> cc1: warning:   as it has already been specified as a non-system
> directory
> gw-test-glib.c:7:34: g-wrap-compatibility.h: No such file or directory
> gw-test-glib.c:11:25: g-wrap-glib.h: No such file or directory
> gw-test-glib.c:12:24: g-wrap-wct.h: No such file or directory
> gw-test-glib.c:16:24: g-wrap-wct.h: No such file or directory
> gw-test-glib.c: In function

Do you by chance have another g-wrap installed on your system?
This clearly is complaining about not finding g-wrap-compatibility.h,
but I've _never_ seen this.  The only thing I can imagine is that
you've got a g-wrap 1.2 installed somewhere and it's finding that
before the includes in source tree.  This just looks weird....