deleting

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Wed Mar 26 08:39:11 CST 2003

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 10:43:01PM -0500, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> Once we move closer to embedded SQL I think we'll have a better
> chance of using audit trails.
>
> -derek
>
> Dale Alspach <alspach at math.okstate.edu> writes:
>
> > What some accounting software allows is the deleting/revising of
> > transactions and other entries from the normally visible registers, but
> > all of the  time stamped versions of a transaction are secretly kept in
> > the audit trail along with any time stamped deletion. For example
> >  QuickBooks Pro has an optional
> > audit trail. Essentially an audit trail is like a log which could be
> > played back to reconstruct the state of the books at any moment. (It
> > is slightly coarser than a keystroke history since only committed
> > transactions are recorded.)

There is an audit trail in the sql backend.  But two notes:
-- the business features don't use the current sql backend
-- there is no GUI to view/manipulate the audit trail.

N.B. the audit trail has the side benefit of resolving certain multi-user
issues, e.g. deletion:  If user A delets a transaction, the audit trail
helps make sure that user B's copy of the deleted transaction is not
mistaken for a 'new' transaction.

The latter is why the current sql backend has an audit trail in it.

--linas