QIF import balances wrong due to same account transfers

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sun Mar 23 21:54:56 CST 2003

Hello,

I've been following the progress of GnuCash over the last few years, but
have not yet made the switch. Now, lack of Quicken replacement is the
only reason I reboot into the Mac OS at home.

The last time I tried to import my Quicken 2000 file into GnuCash
(several months ago), the checking account balance was wildy off
($10,000+). Now I'm trying again patiently with GnuCash 1.8.2, which
shaped up into a great piece of software.

Tonight I had the patience to begin to track down why the difference
is still arising. Here's one cause:

I had entered some Balance Adjustments in Quicken, with the category set
to "[Personal Checking]", the same account I was adjusting. In Quicken
this works fine-- the correct amount if credited or debited. After
importing the QIF file into Gnucash, GnuCash faithly tries to turn this
into double-entry accounting, showing both a withdrawal and a deposit
for that amount into the same account.

The effect is that each time this happens, my account balance becomes
off by that amount. I have the following questions:

1. Does anyone have suggestions for a workaround for this, either by
using Quicken or GnuCash to fix the entries? I'd like avoid
hand-editting every entry if possible.

2. Is there a way that GnuCash could more gracefully handle this case,
either by doing some automatically, or warning the user there could be a
problem?

Thanks!

        Mark

--